Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer
Hess Family Wine Estates, Napa, CA, 2012 - 2015
Led all Marketing, PR, Direct-to-Consumer (DTC), and Procurement efforts for the company’s US business, representing ~630k 9LE cases and $63MM in revenue across eight global brands (FY ended 6/30/14.) Member of Hess Executive Committee. Brands included The Hess Collection/Hess Select, Peter Lehmann Wines, Bodega Colomé, Amalaya, MacPhail Family Wines, Sequana, Artezin, and Glen Carlou.
- Provided counsel, insights, and leadership to help drive a turnaround/cultural transformation through all facets of the organization.
- Rebuilt the company’s Brand Marketing function from the ground up.
- Launched a suite of trade tools enabling training, storytelling, and much more effective distributor, account, and consumer engagement with the portfolio.
- Rebranded The Hess Collection, bringing packaging into the modern era and building out new brand proposition of “Wine, Elevated” across all touch points.
- Upgraded Hess Select packaging to dramatically improve shelf impact for the company’s largest brand.
- Refined the company’s portfolio strategy, resulting in discontinuation or sale of two brands, and clear prioritization.
- Achieved 37% growth in DTC revenue from calendar year 2012-2014, driven by new and premiumized offerings; opened a tasting room for MacPhail Family Wines.
- Completed numerous improvements, upgrades and overhauls to systems and process, including automation of POS and coupon ordering, a streamlined allocations process, a more efficient dry goods procurement process, and streamlining of exports management.
Marketing Director, Luxury
Treasury Wine Estates, Napa, CA, 2009 - 2012
Defined and executed portfolio strategy for the company’s luxury assets representing ~400k 9LE cases and $50MM in gross profit. Brand management responsibility for Chateau St. Jean, Castello di Gabbiano, Stags’ Leap Winery, Etude, St. Clement, Sbragia Family Vineyards and TAZ (Penfolds and Coldstream Hills responsibility 11/09 – 8/11) representing ~1MM 9LE cases and $29MM in gross profit.
- Delivered the company’s first luxury portfolio growth in four years, reversing a -8% decline in FY10 to +10% growth in FY11.
- Played an instrumental role in identifying, negotiating and activating a groundbreaking cause marketing partnership for the wine industry with Penfolds and (Product)RED.
- Co-founded the Heirloom Wine Group, TWE’s luxury wine division targeting “lighthouse” accounts.
- Chartered and strengthened cross-functional ways of working that improved business performance, accountability and long term planning.
Derek Bromley Consulting, Napa, CA, 2009 - Present
Provide luxury goods and wine business consulting services to a variety of companies.
- Co-authored a groundbreaking whitepaper on wine social media.To-date downloads have exceeded 20k.
- Authored course content for WISE Academy 114 (Online Wine Professional) and 214 (Online Wine Management); course instructor.
Vice President of Marketing
Vintrust Inc., San Francisco, CA, 2008
Directed company efforts to build a leading brand of luxury wine asset management services for collectors, boutique wineries and upscale restaurants. Developed marketing and communications strategy; developed and managed key strategic relationships including American Express and Napa Valley Vintners.
- Developed new customer acquisition programs that helped drive 37% year over year sales growth.
- Relaunched company’s website and blogs, launched e-commerce platform, implemented SEO.
- Led redesign of SOMMselections quarterly wine journal, dramatically improving response rates.
Director of Sales and Marketing
Lynmar Winery, Sebastopol, CA, 2003-2007
Directed all brand management, PR, and distribution channel sales activities. Worked with Proprietor and General Manager to craft strategic plan and business model leading to return on $20MM+ capital investment. Provided input and guidance on all final wine blend compositions as well as DTC sales activities.
- Reversed a sales decline to deliver a highly aggressive 3 year growth plan, within budget. From 2004-2006, grew depletions +132% and revenue +171% while increasing average case price +33%.
- Repositioned brand, managed redesign of all branding elements—logo, package, marketing materials, website. Awarded “Best Winery Website of 2005” from The Winery Website Report.
- Optimized distribution channel network—changed distributors in 4 markets, opened 4 new markets and discontinued 6 underperforming/tertiary markets. Created qualitative and quantitative distribution objectives for all markets.
- Secured placements and developed relationships directly with top sommeliers around the country.
Brand Manager, Still Wine Portfolio
Domaine Chandon (a company of Moët Hennessy-Louis Vuitton), Yountville, CA, 2001-2003
Developed and executed U.S. consumer and trade marketing for Domaine Chandon (Carneros), Terrazas de los Andes (Argentina) and Green Point (Australia). Strategic planning, brand plan implementation, consumer segmentation, brand identity, P&L management, pricing, market analysis, public relations, advertising. Partnered with Winemaking in CA, Argentina and Australia to develop wine styles.
- Grew 2002 sales +23% to 26,000 cases, in spite of major distributor realignment in all key markets and challenging business climate.
- Planned and executed national launch for Domaine Chandon still wines.
Co-Founder and Co-Chief Executive Officer
BevAccess, New York, NY, 1997-2001
Articulated, refined, and implemented company vision. Shared responsibility with co-CEO for all aspects of fundraising and investor relations, strategy development, industry relations, sales, marketing, business development, technology, finance, and operations. Company Director 1998-2000.
- Created and executed business plan for pioneering B2B Exchange for the Global Drinks Industry.
- Raised over $11 Million in private equity from angel investors, venture capitalists and corporations.
- Grew annual revenues from $0 to over $7 million within 1 year of launch.
- Grew online users (licensed retail-tier buyers of beverage alcohol) from 0 to over 1,000 within 1 year of launch.
- Grew company from 2 to 75 employees, including recruitment of a top industry figure as successor CEO.
- Architected and successfully completed acquisition of a 65-year old trade publication reaching over 125,000 licensed retail-tier buyers of beverage alcohol, driving adoption of the BevAccess platform.
- Secured agreements with 19 of the top 26 U.S. wine & spirits wholesalers, representing $10.3B in annual sales and 47% of the U.S. wine & spirits market.Selected as the exclusive B2B partner for 3 of the top 5 wholesalers.
- Established company as the industry leader, giving numerous public speaking appearances and garnering significant press and awareness.
Beverage Director and Sommelier, City Wine & Cigar Co.
Beverage Manager, Montrachet
Assistant Back-of-House Manager, Nobu and Tribeca Grill
Myriad Restaurant Group New York, NY, 1995-1998
Carried out all functional management roles for high-volume, internationally renowned restaurants—general management, beverage management and training, back-of-house (kitchen) management.
- Planned and executed all pre-opening aspects of City Wine & Cigar Co. wine program. Opened restaurant to critical acclaim, garnered Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence.
Cornell University Ithaca, NY
School of Hotel Administration May 1996
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Food & Beverage and Financial Management concentration.
ACTIVITIES AND OTHER SKILLS
- Proficient in written and spoken Spanish.
- Musician: Blues, rock guitarist.
- Epicurean enthusiast: home chef and "wannabe" barista.